The Colorado Public Utilities Commission will conduct a public comment hearing seeking comments on the cost recovery of retiring and/or the transition of four of PSCO’s coal-fired power plants.
- Proceeding No. 22A-0515E: Cost Recovery associated with PSCO’s retirement of three coal-fired power plants (Craig 2, Hayden 1, and Hayden 2) and the retirement of the coal portion of the Pawnee plant when it converts to natural gas.
- Tuesday, March 21, 2023.
- Running from 4 to 5:30 p.m., or until concluded by the Commission.
- Virtual meeting via Zoom.
- Requests for language accommodations should be made at least one week prior to the event by completing the Language Access Form. Requests can also be made directly by contacting Holly Bise at 303.894.2024 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What You Need to Know
The public comment hearing is part of Proceeding No. 22A-0515E, which evaluates the appropriate methods for PSCO to recover costs associated with the early retirements of three coal-fired power plants (Craig 2, Hayden 1 and 2) and the retiring coal portion of the Pawnee plant as it converts to natural gas. The proceeding is the result of the Commission’s Phase One Decision in Proceeding No. 21A-0141E addressing PSCO’s Electric Resource Plan (ERP) and Clean Energy Plan (CEP).
The Commission approved PSCO’s proposed early retirements, and the natural-gas conversion of one of the coal-fired power plants but declined to approve the approach for determining cost recovery. Consequently Proceeding No. 22A-0515E was opened to review the appropriate cost recovery approach. Public Service proposes to recover costs via regulatory assets but asks the Commission to defer to a future proceeding the determination of the amortization periods and return on the regulatory assets.
Parties in this proceeding consist of: PSCO, staff of the Public Utilities Commission, the Office of Utility Consumer Advocate, Climax Molybdenum Company (Climax), Colorado Energy Consumers (CEC), the Natural Resources Defense Council and Sierra Club (collectively the Conservation Coalition). An evidentiary hearing is scheduled for April 6-7, 2023.
Additional Information on this proceeding can be found by visiting Proceeding No. 22A-0515E.
If you would like to provide oral comments at the hearing, please sign-up HERE.
Details on how to access the public comment hearing can be found on the Commission’s Calendar of Events.
Public comments can also be provided by:
- Submitting written comments through the Commission’s Electronic Filing System (E-Filings)
- Submitting written comments using the Commission’s online form
- Submitting through email at email@example.com.
- Mailing comments to the Commission’s offices at: Colorado Public Utilities Commission, 1560 Broadway, Suite 250, Denver, CO 80202
- Calling (303) 869-3490 to leave oral comments (English and Spanish options)