Radon professional licensure now required in Colorado

Hide Featured Image

DENVER - Consumers building or buying homes should be aware that any associated radon measurement or radon mitigation services must now be performed by a licensed professional in Colorado. This requirement took effect July 1.

A searchable database of licensees is available here. More than 300 professionals have obtained licensure to date.

The prevalence of homes with excessive levels of radon had created a market in which unqualified individuals were representing themselves and practicing as radon professionals. Licensure was created statutorily as a consumer protection measure, ensuring that these mitigation and measurement professionals have the necessary minimum qualifications.

Radon measurement professionals place and retrieve measurement devices for the purpose of collecting radon data. Radon mitigation professionals identify, recommend and explain appropriate radon abatement methods, equipment and installation and handle the mitigation process. Standards from the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists have been adopted into law for professionals in the state.

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from the breakdown of uranium in the soil that can enter homes from the soil below. It is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. among non-smokers, responsible for approximately 500 deaths annually in Colorado, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Data collected by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment indicates that approximately 50 percent of homes in Colorado have radon levels higher than the EPA-recommended action level of 4 picocuries per liter of air (pCi/L). All of Colorado – not just the mountains or foothills – is considered to be at high risk for elevated indoor radon levels.

For questions regarding licensure as a Radon Measurement Professional or Radon Mitigation Professional, please contact dora_dpo_licensing@state.co.us or 303-894-7800. Consumers may file a complaint, including reports of unlicensed practice, via the Office of Radon Professionals website.

Additional  information on radon licensure is available in the following booklet, also available in Spanish.